COVID-19: Extending authorizations for specific services
April 22, 2020
This article is for medical providers who perform the services listed
We’re extending time-limited authorizations for outpatient procedures our members may not have been able to receive due to the COVID-19 emergency. All other administrative requirements related to these services continue to apply.
For the duration of the Massachusetts public state of emergency, we are granting extensions for the services listed below.
Assisted reproductive technology services
August 18, 2020 update: We've extended authorizations for these services. Read our August 18, 2020 news article to learn more.
For assisted reproductive technology services listed in our medical policy that require prior authorization:
- We will extend existing authorizations for the period of January 1, 2020-April 1, 2020 to September 30, 2020.
- We will give new authorization requests 180 days for the service to be completed. After that time, an authorization extension would be required.
For chiropractic services that require prior authorization through WholeHealth Networks, Inc. (WHN):
- We extended all finalized authorizations with a start date on or after February 1, 2020 by 120 days.
- As of March 31, 2020, the end dates have been extended 120 days for auto approved authorizations in the system.
- WHN’s clinical reviewers will manually adjust any authorizations that pend for clinical review and the clinical reviewer will extend the end dates by 120 days once the final determination is made.
Durable medical equipment
- We have extended existing authorizations through December 31, 2020.
High-technology radiology and obstructive sleep apnea testing and treatment
For the high-technology radiology and sleep testing and treatment services that require prior authorization with AIM Specialty Health:
- As of March 27, 2020, we have authorized new requests for 180 days to allow time to have the service performed.
If you have questions, please contact our Clinical Coordination department at 1-800-327-6716.