Members with diabetes to get Rx monitoring, support, rewards
June 15, 2018
We’re offering eligible members with diabetes a new program that helps them monitor and control their blood glucose levels, take their medications as prescribed, and get rewards and incentives for healthy choices.
We recently started offering this program and are contacting members to enroll. We’re letting providers know about this program since some of your patients (our members) could choose to enroll.
The Diabetes Care Value ProgramSM is offered through Express Scripts, Inc., an independent company that administers our pharmacy benefits.
Who is eligible for Diabetes Care Value?
To be eligible, members must meet the following two criteria:
- Over 18 years old and:
- Have a commercial medical plan with our pharmacy benefits,
- Have a Medex® plan with a three-tier pharmacy benefit
- Have a pharmacy claims history of filling a prescription for one of the following:
- Metformin plus another diabetes medication
- A test strip, plus any diabetes medication
- Any diabetes medication (excluding Metformin alone)
Once a member is identified, we’ll contact them with information on how to enroll in the program. Enrollment is voluntary.
What does the member receive?
Once enrolled, the member receives:
- A LifeScan OneTouch Verio Flex®' glucose meter for easy testing. They can even sync their meter with a personalized app to track and share glucose level information with their doctors (by accessing the app at their doctor’s visit).
- Remote monitoring of glucose levels over time, by specially trained pharmacists. Typically, they are looking back at the member’s trends for a specific time; it’s not real-time monitoring. If they identify dangerous trends, they contact the member by phone. They also conduct personalized consults with members based on the monitoring. This may include medication adherence support, lifestyle coaching, and education on testing blood sugar.
- Rewards and incentives for healthy habits (such as taking their medicine as instructed, exercise, and good nutrition) through the Mango Health app.
What do doctors and clinicians need to know about the program?
- This program is intended to provide enhanced support and to engage members in making healthy choices. It’s not a substitute for care our members receive from their doctors.
- The member may ask you for a new prescription for their test strips if they aren’t already using test strips that are compatible with the OneTouch Verio Flex that they’ll receive.
- If the member is part of the program, they may share glucose level information with you during their office visit (they can access using their app).
If you have additional questions about the program, you can call Express Scripts at 1-855-723-6099.
Want to learn more?
Download our fact sheet.