Home > Office Resources > Billing & Reimbursement > Claim Submission
Web Content Viewer
Web Content Viewer
Replacement Claims

If you want to make a correction to a previously submitted 1500 or
UB-04 claim, submit a replacement claim (no supporting documentation needed).

Submit a replacement claim for all corrections except the following. You cannot use replacement claims to:

  • Change or correct the:
    • Billing NPI
    • Date of service (when it falls outside the original date span)
    • Level of care (inpatient to outpatient, or vice versa)
    • Subscriber ID
  • Submit for timely filing review
  • Correct a bridged admission claim
  • Submit claims related to accidental injuries (auto or workers’ compensation)
  • Correct a claim that was part of a previous recovery. Examples:
    • Credit balance
    • Provider audit
    • Claims recovery project

For more information, refer to our Frequently Asked Questions.

Can't submit your replacement claim electronically?

Mail your:

1500 replacement claim to: UB-04 replacement claim to:
Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA
Data Capture
P.O. Box 986020
Boston, MA 02298
Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA
Data Capture
P.O. Box 986015
Boston, MA 02298

How to appeal

If you need to appeal rather than correct a denied claim, refer to the Claim Appeal Reference Guide and Form from Mass Collaborative. We do not accept appeals by phone.


Claim Resubmission Guide (Frequency Codes 7 & 8)
Late Charge Claim Request (Frequency Code 5) Guide
Replacement Claim Requirement: Frequently Asked Questions